Himalayan Salt & Indian Black Pepper Squid
This simple, delicious recipe for fried, spiced squid is lightly coated in Himalayan Sea Salt and Indian Black Pepper. Everyone will love this on a hot summer’s day; simply serve with a fresh garden salad for a light, yet flavorful summer dish!
*Follow this up with Himalayan Salt Grilled Fruit Skewers (see recipe below or follow text link), the perfect finish to this great summer meal!
Prep Time: 20 Min. | Serves 4
- 20 oz. squid
- 2 cup flour
- 2 cup corn flour
- 4 tbsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 4 tbsp. Indian Black Peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups sesame or peanut oil
1. Cut the squid tube to open up flat and remove any skin or tough inside bits. Cut across into 2cm wide strips and put aside.
2. Heat a small frying pan over high heat with no oil. Roast the peppercorns for a few minutes until they start to sizzle and pop, then remove from the pan and set aside. Add the Himalayan sea salt to the pan and cook over high heat until the salt has turned a grey colour then remove from heat.
3. Grind the salt and pepper mixture into a fine powder.
4. Heat a wok or deep frying pan with your choice of oil over high heat.
5. Combine equal amounts of cornflour and flour, in a plastic bag, with the salt and pepper mixture. Place the squid in the bag in small amounts, seal and shake until thoroughly covered in the spice mix. Shallow fry the squid in batches until just cooked, about 30 seconds.
6. Serve and eat while hot.
*This recipe also works great for scallops & octopus!